Friday, July 28, 2017

[BTT039] John 15:25 / Psalm 69:1-4

Previous: [BTT038] John 13:18-19 / Psalm 41:9


John 15:25 / Psalm 69:1-4

Fulfillment

He who hates Me hates My Father also. If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father. But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, ‘They hated Me without a cause.’

Original

Save me, O God!
For the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in deep mire,
Where there is no standing;
I have come into deep waters,
Where the floods overflow me.
I am weary with my crying;
My throat is dry;
My eyes fail while I wait for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
Are more than the hairs of my head;
They are mighty who would destroy me,
Being my enemies wrongfully;
Though I have stolen nothing,
I still must restore it.

Comparison

This is basically a carbon copy of the principles from the last passage. Jesus paraphrases a verse outside of its original context, a verse that doesn't seem particularly prophetic and was already fulfilled in the life of David.

There is a particularly interesting bit in Psalm 69 about "Though I have stolen nothing, I still must restore it" that smacks of the prophetic - Jesus paying the debt for sins that were not His own, but John doesn't cite it specifically. Regretfully, we must let it go.


Revised Point One: Prophecies often have multiple fulfillments

Re-Revised Point Two: The context may be misleading in prophecy

Point Three: Past, Present, and Future do not matter in prophecy

Re-Revised Point Four: The exact wording does not matter in prophecy, or we have a different version of the Old Testament than Jesus

Point Five: A passage does not have to be explicitly prophetic to be prophecy



Next: [BTT040] John 19:23-24 / Psalm 22:18

No comments:

Post a Comment